Chasing the Dawn

Chasing the Dawn
There’s something about the sunrise that leaves many astounded whenever they look at it. If you ever happen to visit Puerto Escondido you have to witness this phenomenon, which is experienced by locals on their way to work every morning.
From my small patio, which gave out onto the eastside mountains, I savoured my morning cup of coffee with my two adopted dogs. Soon I saw a ball of fire creeping up out of the far horizon. I was not only delighted in watching it, but I was also amazed by the steadily increasing chorus of creatures coming to life as they were awakened.
Living in a remote place, in simple, frugal conditions, made me appreciate nature on a larger scale and not take for granted the sun during the day and the moon during the night.
As I mentioned in previous articles, I have been a runner for a long time. For many, this can be therapy. However, to do it on the beach, barefoot, it can become a poetic experience. In order to run well in the cool air, 5 times a week, I had to beat the sun. By the sea it’s always hot and on the coast of Mexico the extreme heat felt like it could melt me away. Because of this, there was no way I could be running barefoot on the beach after 8 am, when my soles could scorch as the sun caught up with me.
Therefore, I would wake up before sunrise between 5:30 and 6:00 am, depending on the month. Then I would walk to the beach and run towards the very last rocky point and ran back. Those 7 km were the kickstart of my day. As I ran along the broad sandy shore, pelicans and seagulls hovered over the rising waters, searching for fish, ready to dive in any second. Surfers waited patiently, seated on their boards, hunting for the perfect wave. I sometimes jogged, sometimes sprinted, delighted with the company, tasting the salty breeze and breathing in the crisp ocean air. The pinnacle of this joyful moment was the gift of the gradually changing sunrise.

© 2025 The Dark Rose's Traces. All Rights Reserved.