Part One: The Turning Tide VII

Despite being stoned, we were still coherent enough to walk back to the hotel after finally leaving the party. We chose an unconventional route: the beach! Honestly, if I had been sober, I wouldn't have done it—especially now that I've seen firsthand how dangerous the beach can be at night in Mexico.
The blood moon appeared brighter than ever, a breathtaking scene hovering above us. I stared, trying to absorb one last magical, weed-infused moment. That's the final memory I have of our walk back. After that, I only recall collapsing onto my bed and waking up with a pounding headache the following morning.
Though my head screamed protests from the late-night escapade, I didn't let it put off my run on the beach. I saw Jorge completely passed out on his bed. I stepped onto the balcony in my running clothes, barefoot, and treated the beach and ocean like my own backyard—sand-kissed feet, I launched into a sprint.

While Zipolite's beach isn't as long as Puerto Escondido's, you can still hit a 5k by running from our hotel to the far end and back. After our crazy night of binging, 5 kilometers was just what I needed to shake off the cobwebs and wake up for the next adventure.
We began the day with breakfast at a laid-back café on the Adoquín, enjoying fresh fruit, house-made bread, and, of course, coffee. We chatted with the owner, a foreigner who embodied the distinct, relaxed "vibe" common on this part of the coast.
The atmosphere once again prompted a profound reflection within me: I could definitely live here. It doesn't seem like I'd need much at all. Everything feels so accessible and fresh. This is genuine happiness in paradise; money is merely a concept. The thought struck me with crystal clarity.
During that visit, we explored Mazunte, renowned for its stunning coastline, a turtle museum, and a shop specializing in handmade cosmetics. This shop was particularly noteworthy and successful at the time, given the limited number of businesses selling organic skincare products—a reputation it maintains today with its range of natural and biodegradable products.
https://cosmeticosmazunte.com/
I was thrilled to see baby turtles at “Centro Mexicano de la Tortuga” for the first time in my life! What truly impressed me in this museum was that it housed turtles of all sizes, an incubation area, observation tanks, and even a botanical garden.

Mazunte is one of the many significantly small and quaint spots you can discover along the Oaxacan coast. If you consider Puerto Escondido and Zipolite to be laid-back, barren, and relaxed, Mazunte is even more so. Visitors often choose to camp right on the beach here.
After our eventful day trip to Mazunte, we returned to Zipolite around 5 pm. It was our final evening in this captivating place, and while we had planned to celebrate, we agreed to keep the partying more subtle than the previous night since we had to head back to Puerto the following morning.

We stopped by the Italian bar to buy two bottles of red wine. Later, we sat on the beach, observing the incoming tide. Afterward, we wandered over to the Adoquín and were surprised to see so many food stands open late! We bought some generous-sized quesadillas and a couple of beers. We sat right on the adoquín (pavement) and thoroughly enjoyed our "banquetera" style meal.
© 2025 The Dark Rose's Traces. All Rights Reserved.