A Feisty Adoption Story
.png)
My mind often wanders to my dogs, and today, one particular memory insists to be shared.
Motka, my first adopted stray, was found on a bitterly cold winter night in Košice, Slovakia. Viktor, the apartment's owner, knowing I loved dogs, would sometimes bring his massive German Shepherd and Ridgeback mix, Bari, to stay in the flat for a night or even a couple of days on the weekend. Spending time with him was a joy, and I no longer felt lonely at night. I was reassured knowing that if anyone ever tried to break in, Bari would take care of it. I loved our hikes; he was incredibly strong and fit. A part of me wished he were mine, but life had other plans, and that is how my story with adopted strays began.
Viktor was involved with a dog shelter in Košice, the same place Bari came from. One evening, they called him to say they had found a small, feisty dog on the street. She was in danger of freezing, but the shelter was full, and they needed someone to take her in. He looked at me and, with a smirk, asked, "Do you want a dog?" With no real idea of what I was getting into, I immediately said, "Sure!" As I've mentioned before, we tend to romanticize the idea of adoption without knowing the reality behind it. And as fallible, fickle humans, we often just give them away because we decide they're too much of a nuisance to care for any longer.
A crew brought her in, wrapped in a towel, and set her down. Next to Bari, she was tiny. She appeared to be a mix of a Chihuahua and a dwarf German Shepherd. Her ears were her most comical feature—floppy, but not long. They seemed to float, making her look like she was gliding, ready for takeoff! Her coat had the typical German Shepherd coloring, and her eyes were large and prominent, like a Chihuahua's, but somehow softer.

It was her eyes that inspired her name. When Viktor asked what I wanted to call her, I replied, "She looks all lit up on something," and then I yelled out the name "Mota!"
"What does that mean?" he replied.
"In Mexico, 'mota' is short for marijuana. Her eyes were red, as if she were high." He burst out laughing. "I like it!"
That night was incredibly difficult. She appeared scrawny and frail. We offered her food, and she ate a little, but not much. I initially thought she was starving, but I was wrong—this became a lifelong characteristic. She was never a big eater, almost as if she constantly wanted to stay in shape!
That night is etched in my memory. It was snowing heavily, and the little dog, experiencing her first night in a new, unfamiliar house, grew restless. Thinking she needed to relieve herself, I took her outside for a walk despite the late hour. We walked past pathways cleared that morning, where the snowplows had left drifts piled high. Motka seemed delighted to be out, yet she never once attempted to go potty. I suspect that, given her history as a street dog, she simply wanted to be outside and explore the night's different scents. After Bari, walking Motka was like upgrading from a tractor to a runaway hamster on a string!
Motka's arrival brought its share of challenges; she was a difficult dog to manage. Furthermore, possibly due to being the runt, she struggled with multiple health problems that persisted throughout her life. She'd get allergies! The issue first popped up when she ate some food that wasn't good. (The dog was a little rascal and had a habit of eating things she found on the street.) Her face became quite puffy, her jowls swelled, and she developed an itch. When Viktor saw her, he laughed and exclaimed, "Hahaha, rabbit dog!" We've called her that ever since.

Despite her difficult personality, she brought joy and serenity into my life. She was a creature of comfort, often curled up in bed or on a couch, loving to be close and sleeping frequently. Surprisingly, considering her small appetite, she was an excellent hiker and walker, often managing lengthy treks. I still marvel at where she found all that energy.
Over the last decade, my life has been split between two continents: Mexico and Slovakia. After I got my Master’s degree, Mexico beckoned me home. It was the first time I had to leave a beloved pet behind, a decision that truly broke my heart. Despite this, fate seemed to intervene, orchestrating the perfect new owners for her: my friend Slavka and her mother.
My pet brought many positives to their lives, especially companionship, but also challenges and difficulties. This fact still weighs on me, but overall, I believe she was a wonderful addition to their family. Oh, and guess what? My friend and her mother even gave her a cute new name! "Motka" is actually a diminutive for "Mota" in Slovak. How adorable is that?
However, like many street dogs, she was aggressive, especially toward humans. She absolutely disliked being touched by anyone. What follows is one of Motka's misadventures—a story that was once a source of anxiety but is now hilarious.
In 2015, after three years in Mexico following my time in Slovakia, I made a return trip to visit. I longed to see many sites and wanted to take in everything, including Prague, Budapest, Košice, and of course, the Tatras mountains. I couldn't miss a thing!
We took a trip from Košice up to the Tatras one day. There were four of us: Slavka and Radka (who would visit Mexico the following year), Slavka’s mother Daša, and Motka. I should mention that Motka couldn't be left alone, which was a burden, but she was great company on trips—that was until she met the wrong people.
We traveled to the mountains hoping to finally see snow again after such a long time. Štrbské Pleso was completely covered in snow and ice, and we had incredible luck with the weather—the sun was shining, it felt warm, and walking across the frozen lake was a fantastic experience! We even found some Coca-Cola beach chairs set up on the ice. We sat in them, pretending it was a beach, and enjoyed a few drinks. It was a perfect day; we had our sunglasses on and were busy taking pictures.
Then, in the blink of an eye, the perfect scene shattered: we heard a bark, a growl, and a scream! Motka had bitten a Russian tourist! I still have no idea how she managed to do that the very second we took our eyes off her. My poor friend Slavka and her mother took the fellow to a clinic in the Tatras for an examination, as they felt they had to apologize. Thankfully, he wasn't a complete jerk about the situation, and things seemed under control—or so we thought!
Distraught after the unpleasant incident, my afflicted friend seemed ready to head back to Košice. However, as we hadn't eaten yet, we made the unfortunate decision to stop at a restaurant on our way back. The restaurant was truly superb, serving the amazing Slovak food I had been desperately craving. We chose to sit outside in the courtyard to enjoy the pleasant weather. Our lively chat and laughter created a vibe very similar to the scene at Štrbské Pleso. Deciding to take a photo, we posed—Motka was on the bench next to us. It was then, as you can see in the picture, that everything changed. An old man was entering the courtyard, and Motka immediately gave him the evil eye. Like lightning, she bolted from the scene. What followed was a rapid sequence: a bark, a growl, and a scream. She had done it again!

Slavka's face was a mask of pure horror, and our unified "ohhh no!!!" spoke volumes. Unfortunately, this man was an absolute scumbag. We were shocked and immediately scolded Motka, who had managed to snap his leg and cause him to bleed slightly. We ensured he received proper care afterward, assuming Motka would be taken to the pound—a fate she fortunately avoided. Despite the immediate situation with the man resolving, Slavka's ordeal was far from over. For several years afterward, he continued to call, making threats and demanding money.
So, while the situation was, in a way, hilarious, I also felt responsible for the outcome, for bringing that snappy creature into my friend's life and causing her so much trouble.
Motka passed away a few years ago, and she is still fondly remembered by all who knew her. When I think of her, I always picture her alongside Slavka, who found in Motka an unwavering companion that never left her side. While her absence left a void in our hearts, there is comfort in knowing she now rests in peace.

