Shedding Shoes, Gaining Ground: My Barefoot Awakening



For years, running was a battle with my own biology. I wasn't blessed with wide ankles, nor was I gifted with the neutral step most runners in my region luckily inherited. Consequently, from the very beginning of my running career, finding the right footwear felt like an uphill struggle.

Initially, staying under 10k meant I could often dodge injuries in traditional trainers. But then came trail running – a whole new beast. Navigating hills and forcing my stride more intensely quickly turned joyful runs into excruciating pain for my feet. While those finishes were incredibly rewarding, they consistently left me with all kinds of niggles. These ranged from minor blisters and black toenails, manageable enough to keep me going, to debilitating ingrown toenails and plantar fasciitis that kept me grievously immobilized for months.

My first marathon ultimately became a turning point. It was glaringly clear I needed to move beyond traditional trainers towards a more specialized long-distance running shoe. Back then, I understood nothing about pronation, much less that it was something literally impacting every single step I took.

That pivotal understanding began on a trip to Atlanta, where I finally experienced a true Running Outfitter. The shop attendant, sensing my predicament, asked what kind of shoe I sought. I explained I was about to tackle a marathon and needed a wide toe box, as narrow vamps had consistently caused black toenail issues. "I think you might want to give Brooks a shot," she suggested.

The name "Brooks" was entirely new to me; it wasn't popular in Mexico at the time (Hoka One One dominated the scene). She returned with about four different Brooks models. I slipped on the Ghost and instantly loved its feel: cushiony, roomy, light, and flexible. "This is the one!" I thought, already picturing marathon glory. But then came the unexpected question, "Do you have a neutral step?" "I guess so," I replied, a hint of uncertainty in my voice. "Why don't you hop on the treadmill, and I can tell you if this is the right fit for you." I eagerly complied, starting my run as she observed from behind. Her next words, "You pronate! Perhaps a different model would serve you better," felt like a punch to the gut. My soul sank; I had truly loved the Ghosts. "Okay," I conceded.




Without missing a beat, she handed me a pair of Brooks Adrenaline to address my overpronation. Slipping them on, I noted their slightly firmer feel, yet they settled comfortably. We repeated the running drill; she observed my form, then gave her approval: "These should be a solid partner for your first marathon."



True to her word, those shoes became indispensable. That Brooks Adrenaline 9 model powered me through my first marathon, then another full, and subsequently three half marathons. It remains the benchmark; I haven't found its equal since.

Their reign, however, eventually came to an end. They lasted for about two years before becoming too broken in for effective running. This sparked a relentless pursuit for their equal, a search filled with many disappointments and further injuries.

This period became a defining moment in my life where my running philosophy truly shifted. I began investing in my feet's natural capabilities, understanding they offered far more than any gear ever could. Consequently, barefoot running became my revelation.

Venturing into barefoot running, I, like many others, joined the 'slow transition' club. My initial enthusiasm had me shedding shoes to explore my surroundings, followed by a deep dive into beginner videos on foot strike. It hurt, no doubt, but I convinced myself some hard-won calluses meant asphalt enlightenment. Turns out, that was a Foot Folly!

My rule of thumb was, 'Run 3k barefoot, and you're good!' I hit that 3k mark, but it wasn't a triumphant finish. Instead, I earned myself some seriously scorched and bleeding soles, putting an end to that experiment for a bit.




For my first dive into proper barefoot footwear, I opted for the Merrell Vapor Glove 4, partly for their more approachable price point compared to other brands. I quickly grew to adore them. They became my absolute go-to for everything – all terrains, even winter snow (thick socks included!). I wore them until their soles were completely smooth.

Quick heads-up! Quality barefoot shoes aren't cheap, especially if you prioritize durability. Once I'd saved up, I invested in the VIVObarefoot Primus Lite All Weather. These are incredible! I've never owned shoes so stylish, yet so light, recyclable, and tough. Three years later, I'm still using them. A few small holes are appearing in the upper, but they're definitely still wearable – maybe one more year!

I also acquired Vibram FiveFingers, and man, that's freedom, but heed my warning: start slowly; build on your mileage little by little.



When the opportunity for another full marathon presented itself in 2024, I knew I wanted to seize it. However, as the big day drew near, my feet, despite all their newfound strength, simply weren't tough enough for 42.195 km without some assistance.

I'd experimented with Altra before, specifically the Lone Peak for trails, even preceding my barefoot club membership. However, I remembered struggling with stability due to my overpronation. Still, Altra is renowned for offering wide toe boxes and a 'barefoot-like' cut. So, I sought out more stability, and after devouring reviews and videos, I landed on the Altra Provision 8. What a find! This shoe, while not completely barefoot, still offered that distinct natural feel, and I instantly connected with its stride. I've since run a full marathon in them and now take them everywhere – trails, road, and even the gym.

Since largely transitioning to barefoot principles, I'm thrilled to say I haven't had (knock on wood!) any foot injuries. My feet and toes have grown tougher and stronger, as have my ankles and calves. I've also dodged bunions, leaving my feet looking healthier and more aligned. If you're an overpronator who's battled several injuries, I truly encourage you to explore barefoot running! It's a slow transition, as I mentioned, but absolutely worth it.




My secret? A hybrid approach: strategically swapping between Altra and Vivo shoes. This gives me a little support when needed, then no support to continue strengthening my running feet naturally.


Full disclosure: This is MY journey, not a magic fix for yours! Try barefoot, but your mileage may vary.


Ready to Go Barefoot? Start Here!



Transitioning? Andrew Breaks It Down!


Andrew Folts has been a profound inspiration on my own barefoot running journey. His videos, particularly those on barefoot footwear, offer clear, actionable guidance. He breaks down complex concepts into digestible steps, providing the practical insights you need to confidently begin or refine your transition. Watching his content was pivotal for me, and I believe it will be for you too.





Barefoot Running: The How-To

My Top-Tier Barefoot Gear

https://www.vivobarefoot.com/
https://www.vibram.com/us/shop/fivefingers
https://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/merrell-barefoot/
https://www.injinji.com/

Barefoot-ish: For Extra Comfort



Decoding Overpronation



Craving a deeper dive? Grab a book!


Dive into 'Born to Run' by Christopher McDougall – it's more than a book, it's a movement! McDougall champions barefoot and minimalist running, drawing inspiration from the legendary Tarahumara (RarĂ¡muri) people of Mexico's Copper Canyons. Their extraordinary running culture and natural biomechanics offer powerful lessons on running as an integral part of life. (Spoiler alert: The RarĂ¡muri are definitely getting their own feature here soon!This will definitely be a future blog post)



© 2026 The Dark Rose's Traces. All Rights Reserved. 






Popular posts from this blog

THE WILD ONE

Paris, the City of Lights

THE '80s